Quality over quantity.
Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems
I've been a software engineer for 26 years where I started out in technical support for the VisualAge Smalltalk Integrated Development Environment (IDE). This role eventually transitioned into becoming a release engineer where I collaborated on architecting a build system (Java, Ant) for the Eclipse IDE. Those were formative years in terms of being mentored and learning to become an engineer and architect responsible for complex systems.
After spending several years working in the Java stack, I fell in love with Ruby. My world took an amazing turn for the better as I became quickly enamored by the language, community, and open sourcing of many RubyGems. I ended up working in various startups and attempting to launch my first company/consultancy. Due to the nature of the work I was doing during these years, I ended up touching many aspects of the software stack and becoming more of a full stack engineer. This included gaining deep knowledge of Git, especially the Git Rebase Workflow, for which I speak about often. On the infrastructure and remote server side of the fence, I ended up taking a strange liking to Bash shell scripting which is as obtuse as Git in many respects. These days I use a combination of Git, Bash and Terraform code to deploy applications.
As for leadership, I've been a mentor, team lead, and even half-CTO at one point in my career. If you've spent any amount of time on this site you'll have read -- and hopefully benefited from -- my many thoughts on Leadership. A primary focus is on being kind, fostering a strong Drive, adhering to Extreme Ownership, practicing Inbox Zero, keeping constant tabs on your personal Performance Reviews, Interviewing others, and more. Lastly, empowering others through asynchronous communication when using Group Chat and zero Meetings is always top of mind as well.
The following are previous and/or upcoming speaking engagements which touch upon several aspects of what I've written about above.
- 2023-02-08 - Boulder Ruby - Ruby Function Composition
- 2022-05-18 - Ruby Rogues - The Joy of Structs
- 2022-04-13 - Boulder Ruby - Ruby GitHub Packages
- 2021-10-14 - Nairuby - Ruby Pattern Matching
- 2021-09-07 - Charlotte Ruby - Milestoner
- 2021-08-12 - African Ruby Mini-Conference - Code Reviews
- 2021-04-12 - London Ruby - Git Rebase
- 2021-03-10 - Boulder Ruby - Ruby Pattern Matching
- 2021-02-09 - Ruby Galaxy - Git Rebase
- 2021-02-04 - Edmunton Ruby - Git Rebase
- 2020-01-08 - Boulder Ruby - Milestoner
- 2019-10-28 - Ruby Tapas - Git Storytelling - Part 3
- 2019-10-21 - Ruby Tapas - Git Storytelling - Part 2
- 2019-10-15 - Ruby Tapas - Git Storytelling - Part 1
- 2018-10-19 - Develop Denver - Git Rebase